Painting, ceramics, music, films, media arts, dance, theatre, sculpture, entertainment, books and education are a part of daily life and have a lasting impact.
As an umbrella organization, we represent 28 not-for-profit arts groups and over 600 individual and family members enjoying the impact of art in their life.
Countless others are exposed daily to art and enjoy the benefit of art. Arts and culture influences our values, attitudes and perspectives. It inspire us, challenges us and broadens our horizons.
Visit their website here: http://www.vernonartscouncil.ca/
ACNO Board of Directors
Shawn Lee (President)
Heather Specken (Vice President)
Joan Pearson (Secretary)
Michael Wardlow (Treasurer)
Brian Quiring (City Council Representative)
Our Board seats twelve directors. The Arts Council of the North Okanagan is currently seeking nominations or self-nominations to join its Board of Directors. There are currently 5 positions available for one- and two-year terms. Meetings are monthly. Persons considering the positions should be aware of the following characteristics that make a strong trustee:
- leadership skills,
- visionary and conceptual thinking,
- strong communication skills,
- an interest in fostering arts and cultural development in our community,
- a strong connection to the vision and mandate of the ACNO.
Those people who are interested in joining the Board may contact Lynne Gayan, Executive Director at 250 542 6243 or SHawn Lee, President at 250-542-0477.
ACNO Mission Statement
The purpose of the council is to stimulate, encourage, support and develop the varied artistic and cultural projects and activities in the Greater Vernon area by performing the following activities:
1. operating an arts centre (pursuant to the agreement with the City of Vernon and NORD signed May 1, 2000)
2. accepting, managing, investing and pursuing funds and property of every kind for the ongoing operation and maintenance of the Council and its properties
3. helping to coordinate the work and programmes of members and member groups in the area
4. increasing and broadening the opportunities for Greater Vernon citizens to enjoy and participate in artistic activities
5. acting as an advocate for community arts in the area
6. publishing a periodical arts newsletter, and
7. maintaining a current website